How will the school prepare and support my child when joining St Mary’s RC Primary School or transferring to a new school?
Many strategies are in place to enable your child’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:
- Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
- All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher.
- Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
- Mrs Tumelty is always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
- Secondary school staff will visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
- Mrs Tumelty liaises with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils.
- Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with Mrs Tumelty, Mrs Graham, the secondary school SENCO, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.